A void is an item that is not prepared, or delivered or is on the ticket. Voids are the food items taken off from the bill which were never made or delivered to the guest. The reason for void could be that the guest has ordered an item and later changes his/her mind and canceled the order before it reaches the kitchen.
For example, a gust ordered two burgers instead of one and later canceled one burger.
The voids are important as they impact calculations in the business for the day, week, month or a year.
Managers should track comps and voids in three ways:
- By amount per employee
- As a percentage of sales
- By food or beverage item
The void data can help you understand some of the following trends in your restaurant.
- Theft: It is possible that employees with a high percentage of comps or voids could be stealing from the business. Managers should watch for employees who do the following:
- Void Items from Checks: Monitor staff who frequently void checks. It is possible to steal from the business by collecting cash from a guest and then deleting a transaction(s) for which the guest already paid.
- Transfer Tables: Pay attention to the table transfers, when a server transfers small-ticket items to a check for void at the end of his/her shift and takes cash in hand.
- Misuse Loyalty Programs: Monitor loyalty card programs that reward guests with cashback or discounts that are applied to a bill paid in cash; servers may work as a group using the same card on various tables over a period of time.
Void report provides information about the amount affected by the Voids. The report shows the details of the reason for the void, quantity, and the voided amount.
To generate a void report:
- Login to TRAY HQ with your credentials.
- Select SALES and then select Voids.
The following table provides information about the UI fields in the voids report screen.
From Indicates the start date of range for the void report To Indicates the start date of range for the void report Sites Indicates the name of the site. Staff Indicates the name of the staff Terminal Indicates the terminal name Reason Indicates the reason for the void Type Indicates the type of void report. Detailed and Summary
- Select Run Report.
The void report generates.
Following table provides the details of the columns of the Void report:
Field Description Reason Indicates the reason for the void Quantity Indicates the quantity of the order voided Voided Amount Indicates the amount impacted with the void